Salt, placed on roads to offset slick conditions caused by Sunday’s snow storm, was the likely cause of two manhole fires on Ogden Avenue in Highbridge on Monday morning (photo: Tony Richards).
While the fires themselves didn't damage anything above ground, several buildings between 164th and 165th Streets were evacuated due to dangerously high carbon monoxide levels.
According to firefighters and Con Edison officials, salt can eat through underground electrical wiring. More here on the West Bronx News Network. There were similar fires in Harlem, too.