- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.Q6qPkwFC.dpuf Bronx News Roundup, Dec. 8 | Bronx News Networkbronx

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Bronx News Roundup, Dec. 8

The "ice pick" mugger, now identified by police as 39-year-old ex-con John Martinez, is being charged with a number of offenses in connection with a string of robberies in the Bronx, and one in Manhattan.

Former heavyweight boxer Iran Barkley's championship belt was stolen from a Bronx public housing complex in October, according to police. Barkey, who retired from the sport in 1999, has come upon some hard times since.

A man was found stabbed to death inside his apartment in Tracey Towers, on Mosholu Parkway, early this morning.

State Senators Pedro Espada, Jr., and Ruben Diaz, Sr. were among several politicians that missed yesterday's Albany session, as the legislature voted down a rescue plan for the city's OTB. Espada has "effectively retired," the Times Union says, while the Rev. Diaz "hates gambling."

Bronx drivers are fuming over Mayor Bloomberg's plan to hike meter rates in the outer boroughs by a quarter, to $1 an hour.

Parents, teachers and students at the six Bronx catholic schools slated to close this year after funding cuts are fighting the archdiocese's decision.  The schools, along with 26 others across the state, were chosen for their low student enrollment numbers. 

Grammy-nominated Hip-Hop producer Swiss Beatz, from the Bronx, is inspiring NYU students as an advisor at the school's Clive Davis Department of Recorded Music.

Girls volleyball teams from high schools throughout the Bronx had a stellar season this year, according to the NY Post. 

This week, the DOE announced another round of schools it plans to close based on poor performance. With ten on the list, the Bronx has more schools on the chopping block than any other borough.

Students at John F. Kennedy High School, which is of those to be shuttered, told NY1 that while the school has its problems, things were getting better this year. 

City Council members and Public Advocate Bill de Blasio are looking to increase penalties for landlords who receive repeated complaints for not providing heat and hot water.  According to city data, residents in Community Board 7--which includes Norwood and Bedford Park--filed the most heat complaints in the city last year.

Ed. note: Start a discussion about any of these stories, or anything else you want to talk about in our forum. Highlight problems in your neighborhood with our SeeClickFix feature. And find out what's happening in our constantly-updated events calendar.


  1. Lately it has seemed to me that this list always starts with a few crimes. Could we start with the other kinds of news?

  2. Glad OTB didn't get support. Only wish it were clear that it would be permanent. The only argument for keeping it open is 800 jobs -- and at the price this would add to our deficit, we could pay those folks handsomely to stay home.


Bronx News Network reserves the right to remove comments that include personal attacks, name calling, foul language, commercial advertisements, spam, or any language that might be considered threatening, libelous or inciting hate.

User comments are reviewed by BxNN staff and may be included or excluded at our discretion.

If what you have to say is unrelated to this particular post, please visit our readers' forum.