The Hebrew Institute of University Heights, an abandoned Hebrew school on Dr. Martin Luther King Boulevard, is being turned into a community center by Kips Bay Boys & Girl Club. The 30,000-square-foot building has been vacant for 30 years - so this is exciting news. Construction started in May and is expected to wrap up in about a year.
The Institute was built in the 1920s, when the borough's Jewish population was soaring. By 1930 the South Bronx alone was home to more than 260 synagogues, according to this Web site. Today there's just one.
(Photo by Ariel Elghanayan)